Applications received after this date will be reviewed by the search committee if the position has not yet been filled.
Applications will continue to be accepted until this date, but those received after the review date will only be considered if the position has not yet been filled.
Postdoctoral Scholar – Nuclear Engineering -College of Engineering
UC Berkeley research group in the Department of Nuclear Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley seeks applications for a Postdoctoral Scholar, at $60,000-$70,000 per year in the area of Nuclear Engineering or in a related field, at percent time 100%. The responsibilities of the candidate include the following: following reproducible practices for computational science, mentoring graduate and undergraduate students, collaboration on grant proposal submission and some teaching (optional). Potential projects include: deterministic methods for neutron transport, hybrid methods for neutron transport, coupled multi-physics for reactor analysis, machine learning applied to nonproliferation and/or reactor, as well as operations and safety and Monte Carlo on advanced architectures.
• The completion of all PhD degree requirements except the dissertation at the time of application.
Additional Qualifications (by start date):
• Must have a Ph.D. or equivalent degree in Nuclear Engineering, Applied Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics, or in a closely related field on or prior to start date.
• Proficient in at least one computing language such as C++, Python, Julia, Fortran, etc.
• Strong written communication skills.
• Willingness to take on and aptitude for leadership and mentoring roles.
• Willingness to perform some teaching duties.
• Software development skill such as version control, shell navigation and scripting, unit testing frameworks, build systems, etc.
• Experience with high-performance computing and/or advanced architectures.
• Experience with computational neutron transport.
• and/or experience in design and analysis in nuclear applications (ideally energy, but nonproliferation and shielding also valuables).
The expected start date is as soon as possible and is a 100% appointment. The initial appointment is for 1 year and the appointment is renewable for a second year depending on availability of funding and satisfactory performance.
This position will remain open until filled.
To apply go to Apply Now
Please direct all questions for this position to Professor Rachel Slaybaugh, email@example.com, with the subject line: Postdoctoral Scholar.
Salary will be $60,000 – $70,000 depending on experience.
Interested individuals should submit application documents as PDFs, which includes:
• Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
• Statement of Research
• One recent Publication
• 2 references required (contact information only)
Letters of reference will only be solicited for finalists.
All letters will be treated as confidential per University of California policy and California state law. Please refer potential referees, including when letters are provided via a third party (i.e., dossier service or career center), to the UC Berkeley statement of confidentiality (http://apo.berkeley.edu/evalltr.html) prior to submitting their letters.
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age or protected veteran status. For the complete University of California nondiscrimination and affirmative action policy see: http://policy.ucop.edu/doc/4000376/NondiscrimAffirmAct.
- Curriculum Vitae – Your most recently updated C.V.
- Statement of Research
- One Recent Publication
HOW TO APPLY
- Create an ApplicantID
- Provide required information and documents
- If any, provide required reference information